The Market Development Lead will be responsible for the creation, development, and implementation of highly productive demand generation programs at the grower, PCA, key retailer, and distributor levels throughout the state of California. They will help develop programs to increase awareness in target market and crop segments. Direct responsibilities include establishing market development and demonstration plots with high-influence growers/retailers, increasing brand awareness through field and classroom training, driving inbound sales activity, and providing support to the sales team to achieve sales targets. He/she will be interfacing with sales, applied research, marketing, customer service, logistics and various corporate functions. This role will drive sales growth of our client’s product portfolio to new customers within the assigned geography. Achieving the overall objectives will require creativity and innovation to define and execute a lead and demand generation strategy based on value-added sales with focus on customer centricity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and manage demand generation programs that demonstrate ROI.
- Use marketing tools to increase the scale of demand generation programs.
- Align demand generation programs with product messaging strategies.
- Develop programs to increase awareness in targeted local market segments by translating company goals into effective marketing communications in coordination with the marketing department.
- Establish market development and demonstration plots with high-influence growers/retailers.
- Establish demonstration farms for in-season field training.
- Manage and drive key business metrics including sales leads.
- Drive inbound sales activity through a variety of potential sources.
- Ensure lead flow to sales team in an effective and efficient manner.
- Provide support to the sales team to achieve sales growth targets.
- Work closely with applied research, marketing, sales personnel, industry contacts and other US personnel to accurately assess market conditions and identify new product opportunities.
- Work closely with the sales and applied research teams to validate product performance on key crops and geographies, for both new and old and products, with field trials designed to strengthen overall sales and marketing messages.
- Work closely with the marketing team to identify and implement new promotional tactics to create brand/product awareness.
- Provide market intelligence with regards to competitor pricing, programs, marketing, promotion and products.
- Work effectively and cooperatively with peers and colleagues in sales & marketing, applied research, customer Service, logistics, production and other corporate functions.
- Actively engage in appropriate industry associations and trade shows as required.
- Partner with technology development specialists and the director of applied research to engage with strategic demonstration farms to set-up field test plots and judge conditions for demonstrating product efficacy.
- Develop and maintain proficiency in products and markets including knowledge of competitors’ products and services.
- Ability to prepare PowerPoint presentations and comfortable with public speaking and making PowerPoint presentations to retailers, distribution, growers/end-users, and industry partners in general.
- Support dealer supervisors and other sales personnel operating in the territory, if applicable.
- Provide a brand communication link, between selling dealers, select accounts, and the commercial manager.
- Performs related duties as required.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Pest Control Adviser (PCA) required.
- Strategic thinking, planning and execution skills.
- Thorough knowledge of specialty crops, management and business in the region.
- Proven record of meeting and exceeding sales objectives in high-value specialty crop segments.
- 4-6 years of experience in agricultural sales, account management, and business development.
- Successful track record of creating sales strategies and programs to generate success for retail and distribution customers.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and insurable driving record as determined by the Company’s automobile insurance policy.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office products required.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and present numerical data effectively.
Qualified candidates may live and work from a remote home office, prefer a Valley location, and travel at 50%. This company offers a generous compensation and benefits package, company provided vehicle, all expenses paid, and growth opportunities.